Skip to main content

Oseng Tempe Bali - Indonesian Delicacy Recipe Part 1!


Hello everyone!


One of my favourite thing about studying at Chalmers is the international environment where I get to meet lots of people from around the world and of course - to try new delicious food from lots of places! Since my friends and I have been having lots and lots of international dinners, I learned a lot about Indonesian dishes here. Before, I actually never knew how to make them (in Indonesia we have the tendency to buy food at restaurants or food stalls because it is so cheap and it saves lots of time). Now that I learned to cook some of the dishes, I actually feel like I respect more and I couldn't be more proud that we have lots of good food with such interesting way of cooking!

During the latest international dinner(s) I had with my close friends, I cooked Oseng Tempe Bali and Klepon. It was a surprise that everyone liked it! Therefore, I would like to share the recipe of Oseng Tempe Bali and Klepon that I made here. Of course, they did not taste 100% the same with the original one because of the limitation of ingredients found in Sweden, but! That's the beauty of Indonesian food actually. You can find nasi goreng (fried rice - our national dish) everywhere in Indonesia, but each area has a different taste depending on the local ingredient that they find!


Oseng Tempe Bali

*Fun fact about tempe: Tempe is an authentic Indonesian main ingredient which is a fermented soybean cake that is considered as one of the superfoods in the world for its richness in nutrition. It is also vegan! And! It is so versatile that you can make so many dishes with this ingredient. Even vegan burger patty and vegan steak!

Okay here is the recipe!

Ingredients for 4 portions:
Tempe (1 block) - in Gothenburg, you can buy it in Saigon Food in Nordstan, with a Dutch Spelling "Tempeh".
2 sticks - Lemongrass
2 pcs - Shallots
5 pcs - Small red chili
Salt, pepper
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 pcs - Lime
3 tbsp - Cooking oil (solrosolja / raspolja suits best).



Method:
Cut tempe into small cubes.
Mix a teaspoon of coriander powder, garlic powder (or grated fresh garlic), a little salt and pepper with a half cup of water.
Marinate the tempe in this water.

Smash the lemongrass with the back of the knife until it's cracked open. Then split in half. This method will release the natural fragrant of lemongrass.
Chop the lemongrass finely.
If you like spicy taste, chop the red chili directly into tiny pieces. If you like milder flavour, remove the seeds first before chopping them by making a cut in the middle and slide your knife sideways through the chili.
Peel the shallots, remove the bottom part, and then chop them finely.

Heat the oil in the cooking pan.
Remove tempe from the marination and fry it in medium heat. Stir them continuously.
When the colour turns a bit gold, goes in all the spices (lemongrass, chili, shallots).
Stir until fragrant, then turn down the heat into low.
Taste it, you can add a little bit of salt and pepper if you want more flavour. Some people also like a little bit of sugar to make it caramelized.
Remove from the heat When the pan is still a bit hot, squeeze a piece of lime. Use your hand as the strainer when squeezing to keep the seed away but still having the pulp in.

Serve over warm rice. You can add more squeeze of lime when serving as well. I personally enjoy this dish with slices of cucumber to cool myself down after the heat from the chili.
Enjoy!



*Fun fact about this recipe: This recipe is actually inspired by Ayam Kecombrang recipe (Shredded Chicken with Kecombrang Flower). So you can change the protein to shredded chicken if you want.

Tempe!!! 22 SEK is not cheap if you compare it to the prices in Indonesia, but for the good taste and the nutrition, it is gooooood price in Sweden!




If you want to change the protein to chicken..
Boil 5 pieces of chicken thighs (kycklinglår) in water, smashed garlic, salt and pepper for half an hour until thoroughly cooked and tender.
- Don't use chicken breast or fillet, it has the tendency to be very dry with this recipe.
Remove chicken from water, put one piece on a cutting board.
With two forks, shred the chicken by removing the meat from the bone.
Repeat the same method to the remaining chicken pieces.
Use the same recipe as above. You can also mix between tempe and chicken.


The chicken version!

I had one funny experience where I brought this dish as my lunch to school. When I reheated my lunch in the school's kitchen, some students were curious what dish is that because it is very fragrant. In the original recipe, it is even more fragrant because it uses the kecombrang flower! Unfortunately I cannot find it here in Sweden, but hopefully you can come to Indonesia to try the authentic one!

Please send me a picture if you try this recipe! Hope you'll like it! Part two, coming up right away. 

Next is Klepon! The famous Indonesian explosive dessert! BOOM! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titis dan Tempe

Hai semuanya ! Today I will post about the latest activity that I am proud of (because normally I wouldn't even think of doing this). I am going to talk about my day with TEMPE !! (Btw maaf ya bahasanya agak campur-campur for this blog. I am too friggin' excited to share this, I ignore all of the language stuffs). I am talking about tempe-food not Tempe, my friend. This is my friend, his name is Tempe. Tempe is a guy. He has a band with Wednes called Rabu. Tempe wants to get his scholarship too, soon. Tempe is nice.  Be like Tempe. ... Maaf untuk intermezzo barusan yang agak tidak penting. YOW! Now I will start to write about tempe the food. So some of you may know that I will be going abroad very soon (still waiting for my visa to be granted - fingers crossed, toes crossed, everything crossed). The thing that my family and my friends are concerned of is that I will be missing a lot of things from Indonesia, especially the food (ayam geprek, rawon,

No more after five, part 1 : Belajar di Swedia

Hi! It's been one heck of a rollercoaster journey since I arrived in Sweden to study. Since the journey is so challenging yet exciting at the same time, I don't even know where to start to write about my story as an international student here. Since this information might be more helpful for you, my fellow Indonesian, who wants to study abroad (especially in Sweden), I am gonna write in Bahasa this time (this is time for you to learn Bahasa Indonesia, my dear fellow Chalmerists :p). Oke! Kita mulai ya! Biar topiknya tersusun agak rapi dan nggak membingungkan, mungkin saya bagi tulisan ini menjadi beberapa bagian ya! Itu pintu masuk kampus tercinta. Tapi gedung Titis is 20 menit jalan kaki dari situ :( Belajar di Swedia Belajar di Swedia adalah pilihan pertama saya (dan satu satunya pilihan saya) sebelum saya memutuskan untuk daftar LPDP. Sebenarnya untuk mendaftar kuliah di Swedia itu nggak terlalu sulit dan nggak ribet karena sistemnya semua sudah terint

The Rare Sunlight

Sun-kissed in winter time It was not my nature to check the weather forecast every start of the day, but it is now becoming a daily basis where I wish the weather will be as friendly as possible. It’s not that I am not used to the windy and cold weather yet, but maybe coming from a very bright and sunny place kind of makes me underestimate how the sun surely be missed in this gloomy and dark side of the globe, especially in this particular season of the year, winter. This country has changed my mind about the sun. I used to cover up my whole body before I went out on a sunny day in my hometown, but now I am always looking forward to enjoy the sunlight. To all my Swedish friends, now I get it why you guys love the sun so much. It was the second day of 2017, where I was absolutely thrilled to see the weather forecast says 2 degree Celcius and sunny in Gothenburg, Sweden (I am officially adapted to this kind of temperature now, yay!). It was a perfect day where I could go outsi