Skip to main content

Indonesian Delicacy Recipe part 2: KLEPON!

Indonesian Delicacy Recipe part 2: KLEPON!


Klepon is an Indonesian dessert made with rice flour, pandan leaf, and brown palm sugar. It is my favorite dessert snack that I usually eat on Sunday morning when I go to the traditional market with my parents! Klepon look like green mochi balls with shredded coconut on the surface. If you know Swedish cakes, klepon look like the hybrid between princesstårta and kokosbollar!

*Fun fact: Klepon is a bite-sized dessert and it explodes with oozing melted brown sugar when you eat it! And, again! This is a vegan recipe where there is no dairy used!




Ingredients for 16 balls:
300gr - glutenous rice flour
100gr - regular rice flour
100gr - all purpose flour
60gr - pandan custard powder
50gr - sugar
100gr - brown palm sugar (if you found the solid one, great! Otherwise, use the regular brown sugar, add a bit of water and heat it up while stirring until it becomes a bit sticky. Remove from heat and let it cool until crystalized/solidified).
Warm water
150gr - dried shredded coconut

*in the original recipe, we use pandan instead of pandan powder, but we cannot find it here in Sweden. Pandan leaf gives a sweet aroma, sweeter than vanilla. It also gives the green color. However, many people uses additional green food coloring to make it more vibrant. I personally don't like adding more food coloring.

Glutenous rice flour is the one in the middle with the green Chinese character, while the regular rice flour is the blue one.



Thai custard mix pandan flavour as a substitute of the pandan leaf. Still tastes good tho!

Method:

Use a strainer or a double boiler to heat the dried shredded coconut over boiling water. This step is to make the coconut softer and not so sharp. Add a little bit of salt and mix. Set it aside.

In a large bowl, mix glutenous rice flour, regular rice flour, and all purpose flour with a spatula.
Add pandan custard powder and sugar, mix again.
Wash your hands and dry them.
Pour warm water little by little to the flour mix and use your hands to mix them.
Add water again until everything is mixed and becomes one ball/dough.
The dough should not be runny at all. It should be dense with just a little bit of stickyness on the surface.
Divide dough into 2 pieces, then 4, 8, 16.

Sprinkle some flour into a baking tray or any clean flat surface. You can also use baking paper.

Prepare the sticky brown sugar and a teaspoon.
Make the dough into a ball, then press the middle so it creates a crate.
Then take the sticky brown sugar with the tip of the teaspoon. It shouldn't be that big.
Put the brown sugar inside the crate and close the dough and roll it into a ball again.
Repeat the step with the next ball. Make sure that the ball does not have any holes to avoid leaking brown sugar.

In a large pot, boil 1 liter of water.
Put the balls into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes until it floats.
Strain the balls and roll them over the shredded coconut.
Klepon is ready to be served!


My version of Klepon, not too green, but still very good!

Let me know if you try one of these recipe and I hope you'll like it!


Happy cooking, and good luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titis dan Tempe

Hai semuanya ! Today I will post about the latest activity that I am proud of (because normally I wouldn't even think of doing this). I am going to talk about my day with TEMPE !! (Btw maaf ya bahasanya agak campur-campur for this blog. I am too friggin' excited to share this, I ignore all of the language stuffs). I am talking about tempe-food not Tempe, my friend. This is my friend, his name is Tempe. Tempe is a guy. He has a band with Wednes called Rabu. Tempe wants to get his scholarship too, soon. Tempe is nice.  Be like Tempe. ... Maaf untuk intermezzo barusan yang agak tidak penting. YOW! Now I will start to write about tempe the food. So some of you may know that I will be going abroad very soon (still waiting for my visa to be granted - fingers crossed, toes crossed, everything crossed). The thing that my family and my friends are concerned of is that I will be missing a lot of things from Indonesia, especially the food (ayam geprek, rawon,

No more after five, part 1 : Belajar di Swedia

Hi! It's been one heck of a rollercoaster journey since I arrived in Sweden to study. Since the journey is so challenging yet exciting at the same time, I don't even know where to start to write about my story as an international student here. Since this information might be more helpful for you, my fellow Indonesian, who wants to study abroad (especially in Sweden), I am gonna write in Bahasa this time (this is time for you to learn Bahasa Indonesia, my dear fellow Chalmerists :p). Oke! Kita mulai ya! Biar topiknya tersusun agak rapi dan nggak membingungkan, mungkin saya bagi tulisan ini menjadi beberapa bagian ya! Itu pintu masuk kampus tercinta. Tapi gedung Titis is 20 menit jalan kaki dari situ :( Belajar di Swedia Belajar di Swedia adalah pilihan pertama saya (dan satu satunya pilihan saya) sebelum saya memutuskan untuk daftar LPDP. Sebenarnya untuk mendaftar kuliah di Swedia itu nggak terlalu sulit dan nggak ribet karena sistemnya semua sudah terint

The Rare Sunlight

Sun-kissed in winter time It was not my nature to check the weather forecast every start of the day, but it is now becoming a daily basis where I wish the weather will be as friendly as possible. It’s not that I am not used to the windy and cold weather yet, but maybe coming from a very bright and sunny place kind of makes me underestimate how the sun surely be missed in this gloomy and dark side of the globe, especially in this particular season of the year, winter. This country has changed my mind about the sun. I used to cover up my whole body before I went out on a sunny day in my hometown, but now I am always looking forward to enjoy the sunlight. To all my Swedish friends, now I get it why you guys love the sun so much. It was the second day of 2017, where I was absolutely thrilled to see the weather forecast says 2 degree Celcius and sunny in Gothenburg, Sweden (I am officially adapted to this kind of temperature now, yay!). It was a perfect day where I could go outsi