Skip to main content

Should I give up Instagram


It is day 64 of 2018. 

What it means to me that it has been almost three months since I woke up in my bed, thinking about what and where will I be this year. I was looking at my window with deep thoughts. Two lights across the street were faulty, while one was ready to follow. Today I was having such a good time with my boyfriend and my closest friends in Gothenburg. I tried to reflect what I have seen in the past 63 days and how just one thing changed my life.

The first day of 2018, I have made a promise to myself to at least try to start quitting lousy habit - in my case, it was Instagram. Many of you have asked me, why did I deactivate my account. Some of you even said you missed the whole Swedish Journey that I have shared. Some of you also wondered if something terrible happened to me, so I had to deactivate my account.

I was very active before. I shared everything, for the sake of starting a conversation with friends, or just for the convenience of "backup"-ing my pictures online where I can have a 3x3 cool gallery. Being an INFJ, I guess it has always been my dilemma whether to share things with the world or keep it to myself. The same difficulty is happening as I am typing this blog. However, I think I have the need to let things out of my mind now in written form.

Okay, back to Instagram thingy. I wouldn't say I am a famous Instagram user (compared to Indonesians - I am just one among 53 million other users), but I had a decent number of followers (not something to brag about, though). I am just saying that my activities were much related to this social media back then. 

There are reasons - some of which are general, while some, I would say they are deeply personal. My general ideas were just that I want to focus on my studies even more, and just want to be more productive in work by managing one Instagram account for business only. Other reasons might cause you to judge my personality, but heck, I don't mind. I have been living in a life where I have wasted at least 2 hours every day of my conscious hours scrolling down a feed full of people travelling, reviewing new makeup trends, people showing off their new luxury stuff, uploading their #ootd, etc. The habit usually was continued by adoring them for a brief second then overthinking about my own life and where I am now. But maybe that's human. At least that is what Ted said.

When your friends have great news, you're happy for them for like a millisecond, and then you start thinking about yourself - Ted Mosby, How I Met Your Mother

Not so seldom have I compared my life with theirs, which I am aware is unhealthy. Since I have decided to just use one account for business, I could only follow specific other institutions which gives information about business and studies. I don't see things that made me a much individualistic, envious person as I was before. As many people have said to criticize the existence of social media, it claims to reconnect people, but ironically it does the exact opposite. By the time I watched a campaign video saying that social media are turning into anti-social media, I couldn't agree more. 

So, what have I learned so far in this very 64th day of 2018 without my own personal Instagram? Here's a simple list.

  1. My whole morning ritual - including bathroom time (you know what it means) - decreases by 5-10 minutes.
  2. (which leads to) I skip breakfast less often.
  3. (which leads to) Healthier, more conscious life.
  4. I realise what matters the most and what doesn't in my life.
  5. Even though I have not reached my goals for this year, but I feel like I am achieving something each day for not losing to the temptation to know everyone's lives.
  6. I save more money (I shop less often, I care less about fashion trends than I used to).
  7. I see and enjoy more things with my own eyes, not through a camera.
  8. I feel free as if the social pressure was taken away from my shoulder.
  9. I don't get pressured by the social trends of people on their quarter lives (if you are an Indonesian, you know what I mean. The hype of going to the gym, posting "healthy" food, Valerie Thomas' new lipstick line, Andien and Kawa's BLW journey, etc. etc.). Not that they're wrong, they are good, for some people. They are great, but again, in my honest personal opinion, they don't give any significant impact in my life.
  10. I travel more peacefully, without the anxiety of having to post everything nor to answer comments and messages from Instagram story.
  11. I feel less envious and feel grateful instead.
  12. I - at least tried to - not judge and talk about things irresponsibly based on just pictures and hoaxes.
  13. (because) I read more than just looking at photos and videos (I mean - photographs and videos are great. But they are only one media among thousands of things you can learn from)
  14. (for example) I pay attention to song lyrics even more and learn the meaning even better.
  15. (another example) My daily bus and tram trip to school takes 17 - 30 minutes. Within those minutes, I can read approximately 3-5 pages on each travel time (I am not a very fast reader).
  16. (or when I am lazy to read) - I adore dogs I see on the way to school and back. I did not realise that there are so many dogs nearby Årbogatan before!
  17. (and on my laziest days) - I managed to finish around 200 levels on Candy Crush in the past weeks (again - not something to brag about but, oh well).
  18. Best of all, I focus more on my food when I eat - which makes my mealtime more enjoyable (while it is warm).

There are a lot more things that I have gained since I quit Instagram. This one is the most important. Today, the third light across the street has gone dead. Today, it is my 9504th day on earth. 9504 divided by 365 - yes, it was my 26th birthday a few days back. I decided not to publish it anywhere since 2016, on any social media. Yes, fewer people wished me for my birthday this year, but it didn't make me sad whatsoever. It mattered to me before - getting a birthday wish, getting a present, etc. This year, I feel like what matters is that those who remember and make an effort to remember. Some new friends or some friends who are not that close to me, they might not even know when is my birthday - which is, of course, super duper fine - but I feel so grateful that when they knew, they wished me with all their warm smiles and hugs. I believe that this moments matter. I can guarantee, if I didn't quit Instagram, I would be busy posting about my birthday and missed the whole feeling of being warm and cosy around people who care about me - or about friendship, or about family. I felt so happy when I got a call from my family back home. It was early morning in Indonesia while it was precisely midnight in Sweden. I felt thankful that my best friends from elementary school, high school, college, random friends, they remember. I felt glad to spend today to celebrate my birthday with a simple warm dinner with my boyfriend and friends in Sweden. 

There are things I have lost too, of course. Sometimes I missed the big news - someone got married, got engaged, someone just moved to another country, a lost dog in my hometown, etc. Worst of all, sometimes I missed exciting events announcements and job vacancies.

Bottom line is: I am not against any social media, I am just experimenting and finding out a better, wiser way to use them and use my time, too.

Another thing that I wanted to say is: Thank you, for those of you who make my life lively, with or without social media <3

But let me know what do you guys think? Should I stay off the radar, or should I be orbiting, or should I be super active again?


Xx,

T.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No more after five, part 1 : Belajar di Swedia

Hi! It's been one heck of a rollercoaster journey since I arrived in Sweden to study. Since the journey is so challenging yet exciting at the same time, I don't even know where to start to write about my story as an international student here. Since this information might be more helpful for you, my fellow Indonesian, who wants to study abroad (especially in Sweden), I am gonna write in Bahasa this time (this is time for you to learn Bahasa Indonesia, my dear fellow Chalmerists :p). Oke! Kita mulai ya! Biar topiknya tersusun agak rapi dan nggak membingungkan, mungkin saya bagi tulisan ini menjadi beberapa bagian ya! Itu pintu masuk kampus tercinta. Tapi gedung Titis is 20 menit jalan kaki dari situ :( Belajar di Swedia Belajar di Swedia adalah pilihan pertama saya (dan satu satunya pilihan saya) sebelum saya memutuskan untuk daftar LPDP. Sebenarnya untuk mendaftar kuliah di Swedia itu nggak terlalu sulit dan nggak ribet karena sistemnya semua sudah terint

Titis dan Tempe

Hai semuanya ! Today I will post about the latest activity that I am proud of (because normally I wouldn't even think of doing this). I am going to talk about my day with TEMPE !! (Btw maaf ya bahasanya agak campur-campur for this blog. I am too friggin' excited to share this, I ignore all of the language stuffs). I am talking about tempe-food not Tempe, my friend. This is my friend, his name is Tempe. Tempe is a guy. He has a band with Wednes called Rabu. Tempe wants to get his scholarship too, soon. Tempe is nice.  Be like Tempe. ... Maaf untuk intermezzo barusan yang agak tidak penting. YOW! Now I will start to write about tempe the food. So some of you may know that I will be going abroad very soon (still waiting for my visa to be granted - fingers crossed, toes crossed, everything crossed). The thing that my family and my friends are concerned of is that I will be missing a lot of things from Indonesia, especially the food (ayam geprek, rawon,

The Rare Sunlight

Sun-kissed in winter time It was not my nature to check the weather forecast every start of the day, but it is now becoming a daily basis where I wish the weather will be as friendly as possible. It’s not that I am not used to the windy and cold weather yet, but maybe coming from a very bright and sunny place kind of makes me underestimate how the sun surely be missed in this gloomy and dark side of the globe, especially in this particular season of the year, winter. This country has changed my mind about the sun. I used to cover up my whole body before I went out on a sunny day in my hometown, but now I am always looking forward to enjoy the sunlight. To all my Swedish friends, now I get it why you guys love the sun so much. It was the second day of 2017, where I was absolutely thrilled to see the weather forecast says 2 degree Celcius and sunny in Gothenburg, Sweden (I am officially adapted to this kind of temperature now, yay!). It was a perfect day where I could go outsi