Skip to main content

Five Cakes in One Week

Hej! 

This semester has come to an end and summer time is coming! The past few weeks have been a rollercoaster, but finally I have done my last project for this semester and did a fun final presentation with my group mates. Yay! Super duper great experience working with you guys! Thanks Ayako, William, and Gitte!

If you follow me on Path, you'll know that now I have more time to spend for my hobbies : cooking and baking! It was a three-days straight baking each day and my life hasn't been so fulfilling.

But before coming to the nice things, I want to share the struggle of cooking and baking in Sweden (no kidding). 

First, the language barrier. 
It was super hard at first to be familiar with all of the ingridients name. Well for an easy example, if you are looking for best place to buy chicken in Sweden, look for : Kyckling. But if you are looking for a bike, look for : Cyckling. Well of course you don't want to cook a bike (or do you?), so don't make mistakes (sorry for the cheap jokes).

Second, the electric stove. 
Almost all of Indonesians still use gas stove instead of electric one. It takes sooooo long for electric stove to be properly heated (and to cool down). It even took me some time to get used to it until I don't burn my sunny side up regularly. Even worse, in the first two months in Sweden, I think I burnt 5 or more batches of cakes since I don't know how to use the electric oven. Other batches weren't burnt, but sunk. On the next months, I almost quit baking for a while and cook more often. I have been asking my friends who are good at baking, and finally got some very good tips from my dear friend Vella who studied at Le Cordon Bleu Tokyo :D


Third, the measurement. 
While the US measurement use cups, and other countries use grams, Sweden use dl (as in deciliter). Okay I really need to ask this question : WHY?

And then it came to my realization that I have always been using US measurement in Indonesia, while the measurement cup I bought in IKEA in Sweden is using dl as a substitution for cups (even though they look almost the same but they aren't). You know baking is like chemistry experiment. It needs a precise measurements for each ingredient so then I knew what was wrong with my burnt batches of cakes. None of them had the proper measurement!

So then some day on the site where I was working on my architectural studio (Ringön, Gothenburg), one of my classmate, Nike brought an amazing and delicious carrot cake with the perfect moist. I asked her for the recipe and it was in Swedish measurement. I tried it out, and it worked like magic! The cake was the best one I baked since I came here.

Now every time I google for a recipe, I always look for a Swedish recipe to match the measurement cups I have. If you have seen me posting some cakes on my instagram stories and path, this is a simple recipe I have been using and I made some alterations for other flavours.

Sockerkaka (Swedish Sugar Cake)


Ingredients :

75 gr Unsalted butter
1 dl 3% fat milk
2 eggs
2 dl caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar
3 dl all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder

Method :

A. Preheat oven with 175C - top and bottom heat (takes 10-15 mins).
B. Melt butter, let cool for a bit, mix with milk. Set aside for a while.
C. Whisk / mix eggs and sugar until pale and smooth. Mix in flour, vanilla, and baking sugar, then pour in the B mixture (milk and butter).
D. Pour into a butter coated (+ breadcrumbs / +flour) non-stick baking pan. Make sure to leave room for the cake to rise. Try to keep it under 1/2 of the pan.
E. Bake for 35 minutes until it is golden brown and the batter doesn't stick to a stick when you poke it.
F. Voila! Serve with ice cream and your favorite berries!

The twist : I use the basic sockerkaka recipe for making the alteration. For example :

1. Marble cake


Take one scoop of the batter, mix with cocoa powder. With a spoon and a stick, draw the marble using the chocolate batter in the white batter before baking.



2. Banana cake


 

Add mashed banana into the mixture (1 very ripe banana is enough).

3. Chocolate cake
Use only 2.5 dl of flour, and add 0.5 dl of cocoa powder into the mixture.

4. Strawberry cake
Add two tablespoons of strawberry jam into the mixture, reduce the milk to one tablespoon.

There you go! 5 different recipes in one!

Please let me know if you have tried these recipes and tell me if it works for you!

Have a very fun summer!
Vi ses!

xx,

T.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titis dan Tempe

Hai semuanya ! Today I will post about the latest activity that I am proud of (because normally I wouldn't even think of doing this). I am going to talk about my day with TEMPE !! (Btw maaf ya bahasanya agak campur-campur for this blog. I am too friggin' excited to share this, I ignore all of the language stuffs). I am talking about tempe-food not Tempe, my friend. This is my friend, his name is Tempe. Tempe is a guy. He has a band with Wednes called Rabu. Tempe wants to get his scholarship too, soon. Tempe is nice.  Be like Tempe. ... Maaf untuk intermezzo barusan yang agak tidak penting. YOW! Now I will start to write about tempe the food. So some of you may know that I will be going abroad very soon (still waiting for my visa to be granted - fingers crossed, toes crossed, everything crossed). The thing that my family and my friends are concerned of is that I will be missing a lot of things from Indonesia, especially the food (ayam geprek, rawon,

No more after five, part 1 : Belajar di Swedia

Hi! It's been one heck of a rollercoaster journey since I arrived in Sweden to study. Since the journey is so challenging yet exciting at the same time, I don't even know where to start to write about my story as an international student here. Since this information might be more helpful for you, my fellow Indonesian, who wants to study abroad (especially in Sweden), I am gonna write in Bahasa this time (this is time for you to learn Bahasa Indonesia, my dear fellow Chalmerists :p). Oke! Kita mulai ya! Biar topiknya tersusun agak rapi dan nggak membingungkan, mungkin saya bagi tulisan ini menjadi beberapa bagian ya! Itu pintu masuk kampus tercinta. Tapi gedung Titis is 20 menit jalan kaki dari situ :( Belajar di Swedia Belajar di Swedia adalah pilihan pertama saya (dan satu satunya pilihan saya) sebelum saya memutuskan untuk daftar LPDP. Sebenarnya untuk mendaftar kuliah di Swedia itu nggak terlalu sulit dan nggak ribet karena sistemnya semua sudah terint

The Rare Sunlight

Sun-kissed in winter time It was not my nature to check the weather forecast every start of the day, but it is now becoming a daily basis where I wish the weather will be as friendly as possible. It’s not that I am not used to the windy and cold weather yet, but maybe coming from a very bright and sunny place kind of makes me underestimate how the sun surely be missed in this gloomy and dark side of the globe, especially in this particular season of the year, winter. This country has changed my mind about the sun. I used to cover up my whole body before I went out on a sunny day in my hometown, but now I am always looking forward to enjoy the sunlight. To all my Swedish friends, now I get it why you guys love the sun so much. It was the second day of 2017, where I was absolutely thrilled to see the weather forecast says 2 degree Celcius and sunny in Gothenburg, Sweden (I am officially adapted to this kind of temperature now, yay!). It was a perfect day where I could go outsi